Field Observer Position
LSW Engineers Arizona, Inc. is a consulting engineering firm specializing in the design of mechanical, plumbing, electrical and technology systems with a 70+ year history of providing reliable and energy efficient design solutions for various building types, such as educational, medical, institutional, mission critical, aviation, and commercial. We are currently seeking a field observer for our mechanical/electrical/technology departments in our Phoenix, Arizona office. We offer competitive wages, an employer funded profit- sharing plan, 401k plan with employer safe-harbor contributions, an excellent work environment, and the opportunity to expand and improve your professional skills. For a full list of benefits and company information, please visit www.lswengineers.com.
Perform as a critical construction administration team member to thoroughly oversee the installation and functionality of fire suppression, fire alarm, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and technology systems by visiting construction sites to observe the installation of those systems. Interact with the firm’s project team members (designers and engineers from the mechanical, electrical and technology systems disciplines), as well as architects, consultants, clients, and contractors by preparing written reports listing installation deficiencies and assisting in responding to field questions. Demonstrate a trustworthy presence through your professionalism, demeanor, and technical knowledge. Some out of town travel is required for this position.
Apply strong interpersonal skills and knowledge of multiple fields of construction to ensure the project requirements are met throughout construction. This includes interfacing with the client and contractors, field investigation, design review, construction observation, and review of project closeout documentation. Responsibilities will include:
- Construction administration as it relates to overseeing contractor installations of various systems for plan and specification compliance and compliance with all applicable codes.
- Preparing detailed reports for construction progress and identifying installation deficiencies that are either not in compliance with the construction documents or with applicable codes (i.e. NEC, NFPA, ICC, BICSI).
- Coordinating and administering pre-construction and construction meetings and preparation of minutes.
- Acting as the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) for electrical and mechanical projects when specifically contracted for this service.
- Conducting assessments of existing building conditions and preparing detailed reports outlining specific items requiring repair or replacement for overall conditions of said systems.
- Conducting special electrical and mechanical inspections and providing oversight/supervision of contractor performance of such tasks for certifying duct smoke detectors and fire smoke dampers, grease duct testing and fire wrap installation, witness Hi-Pot testing and verification of grounding for electrical systems, testing of conductors, etc. Preparing written reports for Engineer’s stamp and review.
- Reviewing and approving contractor’s pay applications and produce/process AIA documentation for clients.
- Performing quality control checks for plan review of LSW designed projects prior to release of final documentation.
- Assisting with gathering pictures and documentation of pre-design conditions during field investigation and system assessments.
- Reviewing closeout documentation such as as-built drawings and O&M manuals and preparing reports identifying missing or incorrect documentation.
- Be able to pass a background check for security clearance badging that will be required for various projects and clients.
- Possess and maintain a clean driving record in order to be covered on auto liability coverage.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Certification as a Commercial Electrical Inspector and/or Commercial Mechanical Inspector. If not currently certified, you will be required to obtain both certifications post-employment.
- Working knowledge of acceptable construction standards for mechanical, plumbing and/or electrical systems.
- Experience in working with Building Automation Systems (BAS) to be able to understand graphical interfaces and programming intent as well as installation practices for BAS infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Professional oral communication is a must for client and office interactions.
- Excellent written communication skills to complete detailed reports, meeting minutes, and email correspondence as needed.
- Ability to work well within a team structure.
- Ability to learn and grow professionally.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to walk construction sites, climb ladders, etc.
Highly Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive experience in at least one field of construction related to building mechanical or electrical systems.
- Working knowledge of Bluebeam and Procore.
- Ability to apply logic and reasoning to assist with troubleshooting efforts for clients and/or contractors where needed.
- Experience creating and/or working with complex spreadsheets used for commissioning of projects for new and existing buildings.
- Working knowledge for how to prepare reports, commissioning plans, functional testing procedures and administration of functional testing processes for commissioning processes for HVAC, power distribution, access control, surveillance, paging and lighting systems.
- Troubleshooting and identifying malfunctions or symptoms within a system and proposing and coordinating solutions with an Engineer, which restores the system or process to its working state.
- Certification as a Commissioning Services Provider
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.